Thursday, June 26, 2014

WHERE DID I GET THAT INFORMATION?

Suddenly you find yourself with an interest in looking for an ancestor so you go to your local library and look for a published book about your family line.  You find a name that looks familiar and you copy the information.  With great excitement you return home and prepare to enter the new facts into your genealogy software.  At some point later in time you are asked how you know those facts are true and you realize you can't answer the query.  
LESSON:  CITE YOUR SOURCE!!!  Oh if only you could see the piles of paper I still have which have no citations and I have no idea where I got them.  Find a method that works for you.  If you are making a paper copy you can simply write the information in the margin of the page and be sure you note the library, courthouse, archives, etc. where you found the material.  If allowed I use my iPad and simply scan or photograph the title page first and then do the same to the pages I need.  That way when you get home you have all the facts you need and you can save the copy to your document folder.  Evernote or some other clipping application is perfect for use on your computer.  Not sure what a citation is:  Elizabeth Shown Mills has a wonderful website to help you: https://www.evidenceexplained.com


No comments:

Post a Comment